In 1924 the little village of Vero was experiencing a land boom. A number of village residents were hopeful that a church might be established to meet their religious needs and support their spiritual lives. They invited a retired Congregational minster, Dr. C.H. Pettibone, to relocate to Vero and organize their church. Dr. Pettibone helped them to draft their first charter. Unanimously adopted in 1924 by 83 charter members, the organizing church charter for Community Church of Vero, Florida was very simple and included a statement pertaining to membership which read:
“We welcome into fellowship with us, all of whatever name or creed, who are trying to know and to do the will of God the Heavenly Father and his Son, our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, and who seek the guiding influence of the Holy Spirit in their lives.”
In 1951 Community Church affiliated with the International Council of Community Churches. Then in 1975 it also affiliated with the United Church of Christ. Across the years and through changing denominational ties, the hospitable, independent, inquiring, service-centered, and faithful character of Community Church, established in 1924, has been retained.
A detailed book with pictures and first hand accounts is available for purchase for $5 in the campus main office. Read it, you'll learn a lot about where we came from and how we got here!
These are some pictures of the Community Church's history